Saturday, January 16, 2010

From the Mouths of Babes

I was in the grocery store the other day with Caleb, trying to figure out what else I needed, half-ignoring him. There were words coming out of his mouth, but it took me a couple seconds before I realized what he was saying. A couple seconds too late. "Mommy that man's FAT!! Look mommy right there! That one right there!" In horror I glance behind me and see the quite hefty WOMAN he is referring to. I am of course simultaneously grabbing his arm and whispering fighting words into his ear. He gets his feelings hurt. He has NO idea what he did wrong. So then I try to explain that people usually don't like being fat, so it's not nice to point it out when they are. I don't think it ever occured to him that someone might not be perfectly happy with who they are or what they look like.

3 comments:

Veronica Ernest said...

For a few months Michael has been telling me he has a "yucky" teacher. I couldn't figure out which one he was talking about because he has 3 teachers aids. Then at the library Michael points at two black people and shouts,"Look Mom those people are yucky!" Yeah, I had to explain that people look differant and that is the way its supposed to be. Very embarrasing.

Liesl Martin said...

That's hilarious, I can't wait to get to that stage ;). I still remember when Gretchen was little and we got on an elevator. She told us all very loudly that the big bald man next to us with a gold earing was Mr. Clean and sang the song over and over. We were all embarassed and slightly terrified he might kill us.

SarahCarroll said...

Fun! I love kids at this age... oh, the honesty! Dylan liked to point & say how fat people were too. Once at Walmart he pointed & repeated over and over that the lady giving out samples had a BIG BUTT... right in front of her.